Have we really been here a week already? I can't believe how much we've managed to do in one week, it feels much longer. We could honestly spend three weeks just in Tokyo.
In the morning, we met up to go our two additional museums which we found from posters at Showakan. The first one, Shokei-kan was right by the Showakan, and is named the "historical materials hall for the wounded and sick retired soldiers etc." according to their pamphlet. I really enjoyed this museum-- after learning about people's lives during the Showa period, it was interesting to learn something about how the soldiers lived.
We traveled over to Shinjuku for the next museum. It's called, according to the museum website I just found, "The Public Foundation for Peace and Consolation, Incorporated Administrative Agency". (That's a mouth full.) It contained more information about how soldiers lived during the war, as well as people's lives as they returned to Japan after the war.
Both museums were relatively small, but each had a lot of information. Sigh- I wish I was fluent in Japanese so I could read everything. Thank God Kathy is willing to stand there and translate for us.
In the afternoon, we split up to do some Tokyo tourist-y things. Kelsey headed to Ueno to the zoo, where despite the rain, enjoyed watching gorillas and took pictures of red pandas for me (thank youuu!). Amanda, Ben, and me went back to Shinjuku to do some shopping, where they bought some questionable apparel of which I can't wait to see on. I spent time wandering Tokyu Hands and Kinokuniya, the giant bookstore! I was frankly overwhelmed by the volume of volumes (ha). I think I need to start at a small bookstore and work my way up... Anyway, I managed to find Harry Potter 1 and 3, which I am now the proud owner of! We have a long shinkansen ride to Hiroshima tomorrow- I know what I'm going to be doing ♥
Currently, Amanda and Ben have made an excursion to a public bath, while Kelsey watches TV online and I do laundry. We are exciting!
And now, after spending all that time getting to know Tokyo, we're moving on! Sigh- we'll be back, Tokyo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment